Most of us are stressed more and more. We try all sorts of things to alleviate it, including the habit of grinding our teeth. Keep reading to find other reasons why you may be grinding your teeth and what you can do about it.
Causes Of Bruxism
Bruxism is the term given for clenching your jaw and grinding your teeth, usually at night while sleeping.
Causes seem to be a result of the following or some combination:
- Increased daytime stress, anxiety, anger, and frustration
- Excess alcohol or caffeine consumption
- The use of recreational drugs, medications like antidepressants, and tobacco
- Can also be associated with sleep disorders like obstructed sleep apnea
Symptoms Of Bruxism
If you wake up in the morning with a dull headache and a sore clenched jaw, you may be grinding your teeth at night and not be aware. Most people are not.
If you suspect you may be grinding your teeth, schedule an appointment with East Village Dental Arts, as there are consequences if you ignore it.
The Effects Of Grinding Your Teeth
Grinding your teeth not only gives you a headache, but it has other more serious oral health issues.
It can also lead to some of the following:
- Teeth sensitivity
- Worn down enamel
- Increased susceptibility to decay
- Broken, chipped, cracked, or loose teeth
- Jaw soreness and tight muscles at the jaw
- The development or worsening of TMJ
- Tooth loss
Discuss your symptoms with East Village Dental Arts. It is likely you will be fitted with a mouth guard to protect your teeth and mouth while you sleep.
If stress is the cause, find ways to reduce the stress in your life through exercise, counseling, and perhaps, medication.
East Village Dental Arts may be able to help you discover the cause and, therefore, suggest some solutions.
If you suspect you grind your teeth, be sure to call (212) 979-6300 to schedule a visit with East Village Dental Arts. Our expertly trained dentists can identify the signs of teeth grinding and discuss your treatment options including mouth guards.